Something I have wanted to do for the longest time on Gitr’s WoW Blog is to change the permalink structure to reflect the post title name, but it’s way too late to do that with how many blogs and SEO links are directly linking posts using the default structure.
UPDATE: I just checked a link to my site from another blog using the old permalink, and it still works! It knows both addresses.
Here is a guide to updating your structure, because it was a total pain in the butt for me. I’m not a server genius, but I’m not stupid, either. I hope this is helpful for you, and I’ll try to be as plain as possible.
My first step was Googling for how to do it and kept getting all kinds of info about ch_mod and server permissions and writing to your .htaccess file. It was all very confusing. Everything I did kept causing an Internal Server Error. Please feel free to ask me how I did it, but I highly doubt I can solve anything outside the scope of my experience in this ordeal.
- Go to http://www.keyboardface.com/IIS-Permalinks/. Download the files he offers to help. I had no idea what server software I was running so I guessed I had IIS, whatever that is. I think this might work no matter what using my method, though.
- Go to your domain hosting site and see if there is a place in the control panel to edit your Error 404 page. I have GoDaddy, and it was easy. If your blog is in a subdirectory, make sure you put the file in the root file of your blog. My blog is in the root folder of its domain, but it is a domain settled in a folder on my host, so I had to /directory/errorpage.asp to get it to the right location in the control panel.
- Upload the htaccess.php and errorpage.asp to your blog/domain root folder.
- Change your Permalink setting in your WordPress Dashboard. Options/Permalinks/Custom. Enter the code: /%category%/%postname%/ for the best SEO configuration, or whatever else you want. Save the settings.
- Make sure you don’t have an .htaccess file in your blog or domain folder. This was the last straw for my problem. As soon as I renamed that file, everything worked like a charm.
Enjoy your new structure and reap its SEO benefits.